Friday, April 17, 2009

What is the name of the opera song that used to be on a spaghetti commercial?

If anyone can answer my vague question, you will have EARNED 10 points! There used to be a spaghetti noodle or sauce commercial (like Ragu or Preggo), and there was an Italian opera song playing in the background... I think it was just a man, but it might have been a man/woman duet. I also heard this song at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas, NV... the fountains "dance" to the song. Any idea what it is??? I absolutely love the song.


I think I remember what you're talking about, and I'm trying to hear it in my head... I'm pretty sure the tenor singing that particular piece was Andrea Bocelli, and I want to say that the pasta was Barilla... I know, I know...Still haven't answered your question about what the aria in the commercial was... I've racked my brain, and that's about as much as I can narrow it down to... I looked on iTunes, and I couldn't find it -- there were plenty of others, but not that one. If my cds weren't in storage, I'd be able to pin it down for you... It's going to drive me nuts all night long. I'm positive that it was sung by Andrea Bocelli, though -- try looking through his discography...

I think the one you're talking about is more lyrical than "La Donna e Mobile" (although that would be a typical pasta-type song, as would have been "O Sole Mio" or "Libiamo!") It's definitely from one of the more infamous Italian operas, and I'm thinking its a Rossini or Verdi thing, but for some reason Bellini is sticking out...

I think it is "La Donne e Mobile" and I am not sure I spelled the Italian correctly, but it means "Women are fickle" and it is from Rigoletto, sung by the duke, who is a tenor, and Pavarotti sang the role, among others.

Dah-DUM-da DUM-da-dah, etc.

1 comment: